Saturday, May 19, 2012

In My Lovely Garden

 I have a garden in this new house. I've avoided it for a while. Early in the spring, I asked J's mom to come help me with my roses since she knew how to deal with roses. So we trimmed them and that was the last thing I did in the garden.

As you can probably tell from this picture, I let the weeds grow. 
Last Saturday, I called my mom and got some tips on what flowers to buy and what to do with them.
Then we bought flowers!!

Then, on Monday, I started weeding. I bought gloves, a kneeling pad, a hand shovel, a dandelion puller, and a hand rake. I worked from 8:30 until 10:30 and this is how much I cleared out all by myself!
Then, J's mom and sister came to help me. We cleared it all out! Including the ground clear that was definitely not working.
Today, J and I worked on the garden. We found out why the sprinkler behind the roses wasn't working correctly, found and fixed another sprinkler head in the garden, and added a whole other head. This is the trench we J dug for the T we created. I learned a lot about sprinklers today!

The rose bush on the left was right next to a pipe that had a hole in it, so we used that hole to create our new sprinkler.
Once the sprinklers were done, we got to plant! Here, the bushes are going in.
My sweet hubby in the garden finishing off the last flowers.
We also got 4 tomato plants from church on Sunday for Mother's Day.
I'm excited to see how it grows. Maybe my mom's right and I might actually like gardening...maybe...
The first rose on my bushes!!
A budding rose. So beautiful.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Looks great! Beautiful rose and it will be a great space!

mardie said...

I am so proud!! Of both of you. Your work will pay off and it will be so pretty. I love the rose. Does it actually smell nice? So many roses don't have a scent any more. Great job. Keep posting pictures. When you take your weekly "bump" pictures, take some garden pictures too.