Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Getting better

I have been taught all my life that I need to read the scriptures every day. Me, personally, and with my family. J and I have been really good about reading every night. The only times we miss are when we're traveling.

It's been hard for me to find a time for me to read on my own. I prefer reading my easy, fluffy novels.

But this month, Sister Beck visited my stake. It was a great meeting for all women ages 16 and up. The building was so full that we practically had women hanging from the chandeliers. :) In part of her talk, she said that we need to spend at least some time in the scriptures every day. Even if it was one verse, a certain time period, or one chapter. She also said that we should read through the Doctrine and Covenants (using that hyperlink, the first paragraph gives the best summary). So I started reading in the Doctrine and Covenants. It's been a week. I read some every day during my breakfast. I used to sit at my computer with my cereal, but now I'm reading a part of the scriptures while I eat.

I love it! I feel so much more accomplished every day. I feel so much more connected to the history of the church. I really feel good about it.

Today, after I was done eating my cereal and had drank all of the leftover milk, I kept reading. Section 6 is probably my favorite chapter in the Doctrine and Covenants.
I love the promise in verse 5 that if we ask, we shall receive and if we knock, it will be opened. Notice the "IF" in there...
I love the testimony that the Lord gives of the work he's doing in verse 17.
I love the promise made to Oliver Cowdery in verse 20 that says,
"Be faithful and diligent in keeping the commandments of God and I will encircle thee in the arms of my love." Not only is that a promise to him, but to me as well. I have felt his arms encircled around me. And it was wonderful.
I love love LOVE verse 36. "Look unto me in every though; doubt not, fear not."
That is my theme verse. It keeps me going.

With all of the mess with the house, it's hard not to doubt and fear. What if this happens...what if that happens...what if we lose it....what if we wait forever and can't even get it....
Lots of worries. But I am just trying to remember this verse. Doubt not, fear not. Wow.
The Lord knows me. He understands me and is watching out for me.
The Lord is my light.
He leads me along.

1 comment:

Ben and Erika said...

Love this. I love hearing Testimonies. It strengthens mine. Thanks Grace! :)