Monday, January 13, 2014

Halloween!

In 2012, J, C and I were mostly simple things. For J's work party, I was Cruella DeVil and that was fun. C was given two costumes, so he was a giraffe and a skeleton and J was a soccer player and I think Thing from The Addams Family.
So the day after Halloween, my (wonderful, dear….) friend, Tami and I went shopping because we were going to be the witches from Hocus Pocus!

So we got some things from Savers and then forgot about it for a few months.
We roped our husbands and children into it, and asked Cassandra to join us as the third sister.
Then I worked on making the costumes a bit more as Halloween drew nearer.
When C got sick, I hadn't made his costume, so I worried he'd be a very boring little boy not even remotely looking like his part. Thankfully, he let me do my embroidery (ha!) before Halloween!

Soooo I was Winifred Sanderson! J was Billy Butcherson (the zombie), and C was the Spellbook.
Tami was Mary Sanderson, her hubby was the band singer at the adults party, and their daughter was the black cat (Binx).
Cassandra was our Sarah Sanderson, her hubby was "Satan," and their son was Max!




"Black cats, dark nights…"-happy thoughts


I was quite proud of my costume. All of our costumes, really.
I twisted my hair up after it was wet and dealt with the oh so fun headache all day. I got the purple shirt, the green skirt, and the green velvet jumper from Savers. I cinched the skirt to fit me better and changed the jumper quite a bit. I cut the neckline down, sewed it into a V, and stitched it with gold string.
I then made a V from the bottom up to the waistline and hemmed that. It made it billow out a little more and looked a little more time appropriate. Then, I got some orange hair spray and did some makeup. It was awesome.

J's costume was pants from an old costume and a shirt from an old costume. The jacket, wig and fluffy neck…thingy… were from Savers. I made the cuffs and added to the…fluffy…neck…thingy... with a sheer material that Linda gave me. (what IS that thing called? And how on earth do you google it to find out?? haha)

C's costume was a block of fabric, a hole for the neck (made a bit bigger for that melon of a head), and stitching. I hemmed the sides up to give him arm holes and stitched an eyeball to it and embroidered the "skin" stitches all over. It was time intensive, but fun. I felt really accomplished.
J's mom is big into costumes and loves making them and holds a high bar in J's book. After the Ward Trunk or Treat, he told me that my costumes were up at her level! Score 1 for the wifey!


A few days later, Tami and Eric invited us over for a Dia de los Muertos party. There were two other couples there. You could visit, paint your faces, snack… Tami, Eric, J and I were the only ones to paint our faces. We totally rocked it. :) I put flowers on my cheek and forehead and J put flames on the side of his face. 
Funny story.
After I'd painted my face, my dad called me on FaceTime. So I answered and made a funny face so that would be the first thing he saw. I think I startled him. It was funny.

I love Halloween. I'm glad J likes it too and hope that C and all of our other future kids love it too. It's too much fun to dress up and just let go.
We already have some plans for this year… :)

1 comment:

Jana said...

Your costumes were amazing! I loved how well thought out they were to all coordinate so well and incorporate all the husbands and kids!