Saturday, April 9, 2011

Oh the nerdiness

Alright. Prepare yourself. Put on your seatbelt. I've entered into a new level of nerdiness. If you can't handle it, let go of the mouse and walk away now.

I've always considered myself at least somewhat nerdy. I was a band geek, I love Star Wars, Harry Potter, all that good stuff. I've been to midnight showings, gotten books at midnight, dressed up for parties, I own lots of music from Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and I just think I'm kind of a geek. Nerd. Whichever term you want to use.

I like the movie Sydney White and the Seven Dorks. It's funny and silly. I think it's hilarious when she asks them what they do in their spare time and they say that they play role playing video games and then reenact them with costumes and stuff. I couldn't find a picture, but that's a scene that's been playing a lot in my mind the past couple days.

My hubby got me to play....
Before you get mad and hate me forever, keep reading to see how it went. About a month ago, T, one of J's friends, said he wanted to play it and get the whole group of us to play. There are 6 of us. Three guys and their wives, basically.
T was obviously game.
His wife, E, was very excited. She's quite into the whole geeky/nerdy stuff. She plays video games whenever she can, reads fantasy novels, the whole deal.
B, another friend, was pretty game, but worried that his wife, A, wouldn't get into it and be anti.
Obviously, A, was very skeptical. She doesn't like many things nerdy. :)
J was really excited. He said he would do it even if I didn't want to.
I was skeptical. I've seen some pretty nerdy stuff, but this seemed too much.

There's a friend of the group who's very very very into D&D. He loves all things nerdy. He works at a video game store, has beaten just about every video game you can name, and really enjoys being nerdy. :) His name is Jake. Jake is a cool guy. I like talking to him. He's easy to talk to and is very patient with the fact that I know nothing about D&D.

He's our Dungeon Master. He basically makes up the whole story. He gives us obstacles, controls the bad guys, and keeps us entertained with the story. Each of our characters has certain traits. We have homelands, background histories, opinions, and how good and righteous we are. Jake has told us to get as much into character as we can. B's character is somewhat Irish. He speaks with an Irish accent. :) When we're planning strategies, we say "I" instead of "my character." When Jake talks about us and our story, he uses our character's names.

This is my figure that I got. Jake is going to paint it. I'm not sure on colors yet. All I know is Green eyes and Brown hair. (like mine.) You're welcome to give suggestions!
So.
Do I like it?
Yes.
I do.
I know!
Weird.
Nerdy.
Over the top, sometimes, yes.
But I liked it.

Should I leave out the fact that when Jake was telling the story, we got out my ipod and played LOTR music? :)

4 comments:

Katie said...

jeff, Laura and I started playing with Rob and jill abt 2 years ago! we LOVE IT!!!!

Jill T said...

Grace! Welcome to the club!

Jill T said...

J is Jill as in Rob and Jill. Sorry if I creeped you out!

Grace said...

No worries. Liz helped me. :)