Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Happy Birthday Dad!

Today's my Dad's birthday!
It's kind of cool that my dad's birthday is right after my sister's birthday. It made it easier to remember birthdays and have birthday parties.
My dad doesn't really like birthday parties. He likes hugs from his kids and them telling him they love him.
So this is my long distance hug.

My dad is wonderful. He's the best!
He's seemed scary to my friends that I've brought home, but ask any of them and they will tell you that my dad is a great man who loves to laugh.

My dad has a funny sense of humor. He likes to laugh at silly situations, and at funny things people do and say.

My dad loves to do quizzes at the dinner table. I learn more at dinner than I do watching the news. Those quizzes used to be a reason to cry every day. I've since learned how to say "I don't know" and listen to the answer. :)

My dad loves NPR. Anytime you're in the car with him, NPR is on. My favorite is on Sunday afternoons listening to Cartalk. I love those weird guys. I also loved it when he would take me to stake dances and Garrison Keillor is on the radio.

My dad loves going to Friday night games at my high school. My mom works in the concession stand that is run by the band so he flips burgers when he can. When I was away at college, he would send me a picture of the game and tell me he was flipping burgers.

My dad loves the gospel. He has a very strong, beautiful testimony. I've learned a lot from him through his testimony. When I was worried at school with my classes and the job at church, he texted back a very simple response: Philippians 4:13. Which says "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." I love when we're all sitting there together singing "I Believe in Christ" and my dad starts to tear up. I'm not sure if it's because the whole family is sitting there singing about believing in Christ or if it's that he does believe in Christ who is our King and with all our might to Him, we sing.

My dad loves his grandbabies. I love watching him with my nieces and nephews and to see him interact with them. I'm excited for when my babies join in the mix and I can see him love them as much as he loves the others.

My dad has taught me so much about life, love, the gospel, and so much more. He's a great teacher. He would help me with my math when I just couldn't get it and mom was no use. :)

My dad has helped me through some of my hardest trials. And the best part is that he uses the scriptures to teach and guide me.

I love my dad.


Parasailing with my mom

Having fun in Hawaii

With his sweetheart

At my wedding

I love you, Dad

5 comments:

Sharde said...

awwww! its great that you have such a good relationship with him and that you respect him so much,. and i love that he's adventurous and does parasailing?! thats too cool. i love seeing posts like this!

sharde @ the style projects

My Life as Whitney said...

Awww love daddies! :-) Cute cute cute!

CB said...

Grace are your parents Gareth and Mardie Tobler who lived in Cupertino, Ca around 1990?
If so, your mom was my Visiting Teacher when I was very young and I still make her Lemon Italian Chicken Breasts - a family Fave!!
She probably won't even remember me as it's been many many years but I still remember her and all of you little kids running around.
When you and Jason got married I asked Linda if they might be the same but she wasn't sure.
Now seeing the pictures I am thinking yes.

Grace said...

Yeah, that's us! Lemon Italian Chicken Breasts is my absolute FAVORITE meal of my mom's.
And you know Linda? Oh the connections! Crazy!!

Claudia said...

I don't know why this is my first time reading your blog! You are so cute and do a great job with it. I had to comment on this post about your Dad. It is so neat to learn more about your Dad through your words and that last picture of him kissing you at your wedding brought me to tears! Thanks for the cry I needed it ;)