Friday, September 2, 2011

My Quilt!!!

This summer, when I was at home, I started a summer quilt for our bed. It was just tooooo hot with the comforter we have now, so I asked my sister and mom what I should make. I was put to work on finding colors and patterns. I went to Lowe's and found LOTS of swatches. I brought them home to J and had him help me choose two color schemes.
We chose an orange scheme and a watermelon scheme.
So then, in Arkansas, I went shopping with Mom and Liz and bought fabric!!
I am such a scaredy cat with buying fabric.
But then, I'm even more afraid of cutting fabric.
My sister cut 99% of the fabric.
:)
So here it is all cut out and laid out. Actually...it doesn't even have a whole row that we added in. We needed another row to make it match more, so this was before adding that row.
I like sewing straight lines. There is a little room for error. ;)
aaaand I like my camera. I'll be sad when it dies.
I stitched block, sashing, block, sashing, block.....then did sashing, dot, sashing, dot, sashing, dot....thennnnn I sewed them together. Getting the dots to line up with the sashing on the block ones was the hardest part. Sewing diagonally like this made it on the bias, so it stretched a lot. Because of that, I had to rip out a LOT of seams. My mom was an angel and sewed on the longest piece to the rest for me while I was out.

I definitely cried over this blanket. A lot. I had to do a whole bunch of seam ripping. Usually, the seam ripper was blurry because I was crying. I even ended up stabbing myself with a pin because of the seam ripping, so I ended up crying again.

Some days weren't very pretty. It was a bumpy road. There were days where I wanted to rip it up and never see it again. It made me sooo mad how much I had to re-do. My poor family having to deal with my roller coaster emotions while I made this quilt!!
So here it is-my quilt top!
It's pretty
Here's the border! I cut some of this fabric! yay! :)
While in Arkansas, I bought the back for my quilt. I bought a little extra as well to make pillows. They're still a pile of fabric... :)
When I got back home, I went to my in-law's house every day for a while and quilted! Linda has a quilt frame and a bit more space than my 1-room.
So first, we tacked it all on. That took almost the entire day.
What we did for our pattern was just up and down stitch. We went around the outside sashing, then up and down all of the sashing making crosses in the small pink dots. Then, we went from corner to corner in the big squares making sure to skip the dots so there wouldn't be a star in that small of a square.
So here's the beginning of the quilting!!
Day 1:
Day 2:
Day 3:
Day 4!!!!!!!!!
Did it only take 4 days to quilt this thing??? I felt like I was over for such a long time!!!
But I guess I did have a weekend break and then some for some of it. Maybe I'm just feeling that effect.

So here it is alllll quilted and on a queen sized bed!! Such a perfect length! Thanks, siz!!
I had planned on using the back-the green flowered pattern-to do the binding. But when I folded it over, I felt like it was too busy. My mom and sister still disagree with me, but it's my quilt, so I did it how I wanted to!! :)
I bought white quilt binding and bound it together using my sewing machine for the first real time!! (the first time was making J's archery sleeve/protection smaller for him)
So here it is on a king sized bed!!
Folded up so you can see the adorable back!
I'm so proud of this!!
On our bed!!!!!!!!!! Next thing is to make pillows!!
So! Do I love it? YES!
It took sweat, blood, and lots of tears, but I love it now.
I wanted to rip it up several times, but I love it now.
I think the only thing is that I didn't want to give up. I really wanted to accomplish this. And I did!!!!
And I love it... :)

5 comments:

Shayna Lunt said...

Grace... you are amazing! I'm in the process of finishing my second quilt and you put my two to shame ;). But seriously... ADORABLE!!!! I love the fabrics. I get in such a panic when it comes to even thinking about trying to find fabrics that match. Did you quilt your whole quilt by hand??? (obviously not the piecing lol, but the top stitches)

Grace said...

Shayna,
I did do it all by hand! My mother in law helped out a bunch with stitching it, but yep, it was all by hand for the quilting. :)
I'm glad you like it! I really love it. :)
I had a lot of help and I know I have several mistakes on that quilt... :) So don't even worry about yours! I'm sure yours are wonderful!

Jolyn Laney said...

it turned out beautifully! i'm glad you didn't stop and the tears and blood (with poking with pins) make it so much more beautiful and meaningful and i would be proud too! maybe i will be when i finish that crocheting blanket ;)

Liz said...

i love it! good job! every good quilt needs blood, sweat, and tears. seriously. :)

Barb said...

I'm proud of you too! It is really cute!