Tuesday, July 24, 2012

3 Years Ago

Mushy post alert!! :)


Three years ago today, I said yes to my eternal companion.

On July 5, 2009, we both knew that we should get married. The night before, we decided to fast together to see if we should get married. It was the first time we had fasted together. We were in Sacrament meeting in Bountiful, Utah, where J's grandparents attend. During the Testimony meeting, we both received the impression that marriage was the right thing to do.

A couple weeks later, my family and I were playing games, I was moody from losing and being tired from work and camping out and lots of traveling. MMae told me that I needed to be happy today. The way she said it confused me, so I asked her why. She just said that it was a good day to be happy. 
Weird.
Throughout the day, J hadn't been able to text as much as usual. He had several meetings he was in, and then this evening, he was going to see Transformers 2 with a friend. But he finally called at 10 or 11. yay! So I went into the other room to talk to him. He asked me if I had gotten a package. I asked my mom and she brought in a box about 1x1. He told me to open it. Inside, there was a note saying I couldn't open it until I was on the phone with J. It said it about a zillion different ways. By this point, Mom, Liz, and MMae are all asking what's going on and bugging me. So J told me I could open that up and pull out what was inside. 

It was a teddy bear in tux and top hat holding a ring. Then, I got really really confused. J went on to talk about a friend's friend who had a ring making business but was backlogged or something like that. I didn't get much because everyone was asking what he was saying and I was confused about him sending me a really cheap looking ring in the mail. What was going on??
Then he asked me what I thought...uhhhhhhhh no idea...
I told him I didn't really know what his point was. He said, "The point is: that's not your real ring. Your real one is hidden on your front porch."
Thinking Mom must have missed a small box on the front porch, I walked over to the entryway. My parents have glass doors with opaque curtains. When I looked into the dark entryway, I saw a silhouette of someone standing outside. I gasped, flung my phone, turned on the light, and swung the door open as fast as I could.
                                                

There he was! J was there, in slacks, white shirt, my favorite green tie, and orange and yellow gerber daisies (also my favorite) in a vase next to him, holding a ring box. Before I could react to the real ring, I had to react to the real guy! He was supposed to be in Idaho, not Arkansas! I tackled him in a huge hug. Poor guy was kneeling on a brick floor, so he ended up with some scrapes on his shins.

He got me to let go of him and stand back so that he could ask me to marry him. I'm crying and through my blubbering, I managed to say yes, put on the pretty ring, have him stand up and hug and kiss him until it all felt real. It still didn't register in my head the next day. I woke up in a daze and looked at my hand. Oh my goodness, there it is!!
 The last 3 years have been so wonderful. The engagement was fun, the wedding was perfect, and we've come so far since then! We have a house, a healthy baby boy on his way, and lots of love. We have our struggles, but all I need to do is remember my feelings and thoughts from 3 years ago and I'm back in love with that wonderful guy.
What a handsome man! I am the luckiest girl alive.

3 comments:

Tami P said...

You two are just so dang cute and sappy! Stop it! No, wait, don't stop! It's so fun to see how adorable you are together :)

Jill T said...

That is so cute guys. Congratulations on being so close to full term too!
love,
Jill T

Jana said...

That's SO cute! How sweet that he traveled all that way to surprise you :).